Thursday, April 21, 2011

To Owl A Good Night

It has been almost a week since my last post.  The end of the semester has kept me busy with school work.  This past weekend's storm that blew threw Raleigh has also made things pretty interesting around here.  We have driven around town several times looking at some of the damage left behind.  I have had hardly any time to work on any sewing projects.  This, of course, means that I have not yet quilted the owl quilt, but I did decide to go ahead and post photos of it unquilted.



The piecing for the quilt top was quite easy.  It was learning how to do applique that was somewhat of a challenge.  I took a close up photo of the owl to give you guys an idea of how the applique turned out.  I don't think it turned out badly considering it was my first time.  I will say that I loved the process and am excited to work on many more appliqued projects in the future!

To give credit where credit is due, the inspiration from this quilt came from the cover of ths Spring 2011 Quilts & More cover.  My mother was in town the weekend I bought the magazine and asked me to make the quilt for my niece.  Here's a photo of the magazine cover:


My most recent project arose from a need for easy access to pins while sewing and needing a place within reach of my sewing machine to toss snipped threads quickly.  While browsing Sew, Mama, Sew! I found a tutorial for a solution to these needs that looked pretty cool.  Check out my version, which is mostly green (imagine that), then compare that to a photo from the tutorial.




I am quite pleased with the end result and can't wait to work on another project soon to break it in!

Until next time wag more, bark less, and get out and find some sticks for Igor.

No comments:

Post a Comment